The survey teams circulated at Loud American Inn, Knuckle Saloon and Easy Riders Saloon. Some of the information is pretty much what you’d expect, but there were some findings that were not obvious. Here are some of the findings:
- The age breakdown was 40% of rallygoers are between the ages of 54 and 65, and 36% fall into the 41 to 53 age range
- 9% of rally registrants said they were over 66 years old — up from 2 percent in 2004
- 56% of rally attendees are male and 44% female
- 25% have taken some college courses; 19% have an Associates or vocational degree and 18% of those surveyed have a Bachelors degree
- Majority came to the rally on a Harley-Davidson motorcycle
- Have a household income of more than $75,000
- More than 25% planned to stay for eight days or more. The next highest numbers were four days and seven days.
- More than 20% of respondents came from western states (i.e., states located west of the Mississippi River); about 20% came from east of the Mississippi River. About 6% are not from the U.S.
- Most tend to travel to the rally on a motorcycle, though a significant percentage travel in an automobile or truck. About 50% come to the rally on their motorcycle and about 37% said they travel by car or truck.
The full survey findings can be found HERE.
Photo courtesy of City of Sturgis